Saturday, January 22, 2011

Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Crepe

One of my resolutions for 2011 was to try a new recipe every month.  I poked around on foodgawker.com looking for something that sparked my interest for this month.  After the holidays I wanted to stay away from something heavy.  This week blueberries were on sale, but most recipes I saw were for muffins (made those before), scones and cheesecake that I do notttt need sitting around the house!  So, I scratched that idea and searched for other fruity/dessertish recipes.  I saw that kiwis were also on sale and started searching for recipes to use them in.  I love most fruit (except honeydew and cantaloupe!), and kiwis I like, but have never bought them.  I thought it would be interesting to try making something with them.  On foodgawker I saw a recipe for a kiwi salsa that went with Ricotta and Cream Cheese Chili Poppers - OMG yum.  However, this is also something I didn't want to have sitting around the house.  I think it sounds entirely yummy and interesting.  I am definitely going to make that recipe, but save it for when I have people over to share it with...so plan to see that in the future.  So the search for the recipe went on and I looked into various kiwi and other fruit salsas.  I found many recipes for fruit salsa with cinnamon tortilla or pita chips which sounds awesome, but I decided to take my own spin on things.  This recipe is a Megan original.  I chose to make a fruit salsa out of bananas, strawberries, kiwi and oranges.  I paired this with a cinnamon crepe and chocolate drizzle.  Check it out:

Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Crepe
Yeilds about 6-8 crepes

Fruit Salsa:
1 Orange diced
2 Kiwi diced
1 Banana diced
1/2 cup Strawberries
1/2 tsp Balsamic Vinager
2 tsp Sugar

Chop all the fruit into a bowl and mix with Balsamic Vinegar and sugar, then let sit and marinate.

Cinnamon Crepe:
1/2 cup Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Cinnamon (more or less depending on your taste)
Pinch of Nutmeg
1 Egg
2/3 cup Milk

First mix together all the dry ingredients with a whisk.  Make a "hole" in the center of the dry mix and add the egg.  Start to mix in the egg while adding the milk.  Once the mixture is ready, heat a frying pan with some olive oil.  Pour on the mixture as you would a pancake and move the pan to make it spread.  Allow it to cook until it looks cooked through (you can flip it if you choose, but do not have to).  Remove the crepe from the pan and place on a plate (some people put parchment or something of the sort in-between each crepe....if you want to be fancy).

Once you have the fruit salsa and crepes ready you are set.  Take a crepe and a spoon the fruit salsa mixture in a column on the crepe.  Make the crepe into a roll.  If you would like, drizzle chocolate on top as a garnish, it taste great with the cinnamon of the crepe and sweet of the fruit.  I consider this a fairly low-fat dessert since it is made mostly from fruit and I used reduced fat milk.  I am sure you could swap out the regular flour for wheat if you would like as well!  There isn't too much sugar and there is no butter.  Delicious and healthy!

Bon Appetitt!






No comments:

Post a Comment