Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Orange Cupcakes.

We have been having a LOT of snow lately, actually it happens to be one of the snowiest winters in the history of Philadelphia and beat the snowiest winter in my lifetime - The Blizzard of '96. During the latest storm, after working home for the day, I decided to make cupcakes! I really wanted to make orange cupcakes, so I found this recipe online for "Creamsicle Cupcakes". The night before I got snowed in to my apartment I went out and bought the ingredients, knowing I wouldn't be able to get out during the storm. I decided to photograph the various stages of making the cupcakes and the cupcakes after they were decorated as a sort-of photography project following a story and creation of beautiful, delicious little cupcakes! Please enjoy and make them for yourselves as well! I already have my next cupcakes in mind ;)



Ingredients:
1 1⁄2 sticks (3⁄4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 1⁄2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
21⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1⁄2 cup orange juice
2 tsp grated orange zest



Heat oven to 350°F. Line 24 regular-size (2 1⁄2-in.-diameter) muffin cups with paper or foil liners. I need to invest in some muffin pans.


Beat butter, sugar, baking powder, vanilla, orange juice and zest in a large bowl with mixer on high 3 minutes or until fluffy. (Mamma should be proud, I used my mixer :)


Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each.


On low speed, beat in flour in 3 additions alternately with milk in 2 additions, just until blended, scraping sides of bowl as needed.


Spoon evenly in muffin cups.


2 to 25 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in center of cupcakes comes out clean and tops are golden. Cool in pans on a wire rack 5 minutes before removing from pans to rack to cool completely.*Notice the funky square shapes because I didn't use a muffin pan. Also, I threw mine in the freezer before icing.



I did not use their recipe for frosting, I used Betty Crocker in a plstic bag with a corner clipped like a pipping bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment